Sunday, 19 February 2012

Fashion and Feminism- Quietly Compatible.

Dearest blogging friends, I have been running around Dublin like a crazy person for the last few days. Weeks. For the last few days I've been working with the very talented Jean, who has effectively set up Ireland's first feminist publication called the Siren (super cool name. I thought instantly of screaming mermaids luring seamen to their death. Dangerous seductresses awh yeah). So, for the first issue I've been styling a shoot with my friend Laura of Glamorous Glue which is going to portray the Irish feminist throughout a brief history; ranging from the elegant suffragettes of the late 1800s to inspirational Irish female writers of the 50s and 60s. Women like Maeve Brennan and Enda O'Brien prove that fashion and feminism were never mutually exclusive- they matched their emphatic ideals with daring fashions. The shoot's tomorrow, I promise to post up photos as soon as I have them! For now, here's what I've been drawing inspiration and generally channelling girl power from c: I was working on a shoot with University Times last week, and the issue is coming out tomorrow too excitement! So you will see all the products of my endeavours soon my pretties. Baii for now X




Edna O'Brien. One classy lady.


Status quo breaking advertisements of women power dressing emerged in the late 70s





Lady Lavery. Social butterfly. Not really a feminist, but I feel an onus to include her in a collective landscape of Irish fashion.

Celine Resort 2012
Vogue March 2010
Anita Ekberg

Patti Smith



Maeve Brennan
Countess Markievicz



Dolce and Gabbana AW 11




I want to look like this... all the time

2 comments:

  1. siren sounds like a cool concept! can't wait to see the photos (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanna! The shoot went really well I'm exhausted but happy :D Pics up as soon as I get them from the photographer promise! :3

      Delete